This is a simple, lazy recipe for the Instant Pot. It isn’t entirely original, but it is extremely useful, and produces a result that everyone in my family will eat, which is no small feat.
I don’t measure anything. If I don’t have salsa, I dump in tomato sauce or even just water; the result is more bland, but still edible, and it can be shredded and mixed with barbecue sauce if desired. I make this in the morning or at lunchtime and let it stay on Warm for hours and hours until dinnertime. I find the taste of chicken thighs improves after a couple hours on the Instant Pot’s Warm setting.
- 6 chicken thighs
- 1 cup mild or medium salsa (eyeballed)
- 1/4 cup water (eyeballed)
- 2 large pinches kosher salt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Oil bottom of Instant Pot.
- Coat bottom of Instant Pot with 1 pinch of kosher salt.
- Add chicken thighs in one layer
- Season top of chicken thighs with 1 pinch of kosher salt.
- Cover with salsa. Add water if salsa is not very liquid.
- Lid the Instant Pot and cook under high pressure for 20 minutes.
- Allow pressure to release naturally. The Instant Pot will automatically switch to its Warm setting. Keep the chicken thighs on the Warm setting as long as you would like. The chicken tastes better after several hours on Warm.